Doornlaagte – South Africa
Our representative will meet you at the O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, South Africa on arrival and bring you to your accommodation. All your needs will be met, transport, accommodation and naturally the hunt.
Important Travel Info
A valid passport is needed. A Visa is not required.
- Rifle Documentation
Hunters bringing firearms into South Africa for hunting purposes will be issued an import permit on arrival at Johannesburg airport. All hunters must be in possession of the necessary documentation.
- Export Rifles Form
A notarised copy of proof of ownership of the firearms, from an official government institution from the country of origin, completed in English in the form of:
- For US citizens, US Customs form 4457 is ESSENTIAL (1 copy) DOWNLOAD US Customs form 4457
- For GERMAN citizens, an original notarised copy of the documentary proof of export of the firearms a INF3 customs certificate. To obtain this certificate please go to your nearest Customs office (Zollamt) with your firearms and any other documentation the customs house might require. A firearms pass (Waffenbesitzkarte) or European firearms Pass (Europaeischer Feuerwaffen Pass) will be issued.
- For UK citizens, an original notarised copy of the Proof of Ownership and passport must be signed and stamped as true copies of the original document by a Public Notary. A copy of your firearm license or certificate.
- Other – A letter from your local sheriff in the form of an affadavit confirming ownership or an invoice from gun shop where you have purchased the firearm(s).
- Import Rifles Form Gun Import / Export Permit Application Form DOWNLOAD THE SAPS 520 FORM .Instructions below for filling it in ( Black ink only) Please fill in the import form before arrival to save you time.
- CComplete page 2 – E 2.1 to E 25.4 – Natural person’s details
- Complete page 4 – G1 to G5 and G8 to G 9.2 – Import/Export details
- Complete page 5 – I 1.1 to I 5 – Details of firearms & ammo
- Complete page 6 – J – Signature of applicant
- Page 6: Date – when signing the form. Place – where signingPlease note: The date format is: year/month/day
- Export Rifles Form
- Notarised copy of passport
An original notarised copy of your passport, with
- minimum of four months validity after the termination of the hunt.
- minimum of two free pages.
- Copy of itinerary of airline ticket.
- An Invitation from your hunting outfitter on their official letterhead. The letter must include:
- The Professional Hunter and Outfitter’s full names
- License numbers
- Registered Province
- The type of hunt
- Dates of your safari
- Location of Hunt
- Species you are hunting
- Which firearms are you bringing with for the hunt
- Sign and date the letter.
- Rifle Documentation
O.R. Tambo International Airport – Arrival
- Go through passport control and then to the Import/Export Office, the appropriate area is marked: “Firearms and Security Items”.
- Identify your rifle case and sign for it.
- Collect your normal luggage at the conveyer belt section.
- Proceed on the GREEN line through customs.
- If you arrive in Terminal A1 or A2, please exit the arrivals hall and turn right and look out for the SAP office where you will be met.
- Your firearm(s) and ammo will be checked against your pre-issued temporary import permit after which you will be free to leave.
The procedure with the firearms varies from airline to airline. There may be a slight delay before your firearms arrive at the SA Police office, please allow at least 3 hours before departure of your connecting flight.
Important Points to Remember
- Please confirm with the Airline that your firearms will arrive on the same flight as you.
- Contact the airline with regards to their regulations on the number of firearms allowed and packing of ammunition. Some airlines require the ammunition to be packed separately in a locked container.
- You are the only person allowed to sign for your firearms / ammo. In the event that it arrives on a different flight our representative cannot sign for it, the SA Police will keep the firearms in custody until you can sign personally for the release.
- Your firearm license is represented by the temporary permit and enables you to buy ammunition in South Africa for the calibres on the permit.
- While you are in possession of your firearms, you must have the temporary import permit on your person at all times.
- Your firearm must be locked in a safe when not in use.
- In-Transit Permits are required for any person spending the night in South Africa while in-transit to a third country. The same prerequisites apply as to obtain the normal
- Any person , spending the night in South Africa, en route to another country requires an In Transit Permit, the requirements are the same as for a Temporary Import permit.
- Check with your airline that your luggage and firearm(s) will be checked through to your final destination, when you are connecting to a third country on the same day.
- You face severe penalties and possible arrest if you do not declare a firearm or if a Temporary Permit is not issued.
Feel free to contact us for more information.